Welcome to the Freelance Jungle #Unself challenge. This is an experiment for the month of October, so strap in and let’s see where we get!
The Freelance Jungle appreciates that not all freelance and creative journeys have to revolve around self-promotion. There are quite a lot of us who let the work speak for itself. Or carry the card of introvert, and this is usually accompanied with different ways to promote your business and market on your terms. Some freelancers find it uncomfortable to the point of complete rejection. Others pick up the mantle only to drop it again as Imposter Syndrome takes hold.
This Freelance Jungle #Unself challenge is about finding a different way forward.
What is an #Unself challenge?
As an experiment, for one continuous month, make the focus of one in every three things you share on social media — wherever you normally share, however regularly or irregularly you do, however many people you reach — something other than yourself or your own work.
I shared the article within the Freelance Jungle and the concept attracted interest and applause. So, we decided to do something about it.
As the blog suggests, it’s not about posting every day or sticking to a regime. It’s simply about taking every third post and sending out something into the universe other than promotional stuff. And we’ve decided to support each other with this while we walk through the (usually very self-centric) halls of Instagram and LinkedIn.
Why do this in a group?
All great resistances come from a community. In this case, a community that can:
a. Challenge the algorithm that is looking for a selfie and I-centric words in the description by jumping on to give a like and/or a comment to a fellow resistor
b. Share ideas of the kinds of content that is fun and/or inspiring and inspire more of the same
c. Make new friends that share the same values along the way
d. Build each other up as we share. As much as we might be challenging the self-driven nature of the social media platforms, it still sucks to put out content you care about and get nothing but tumbleweeds.
Who knows. It may even take hold and become a thing!
How to participate
Let’s make it super simple
1. Pick your places of experimentation. I have suggested Instagram and LinkedIn as they tend to be the most “self” orientated
2. Give thanks to Maria from Unselfing.Social in your maiden post
3. Gather some friends to play with (our Freelance Jungle list is listed below.)
4. Use the tag #unself when posting that non-self-related social media post so we can find you. And subscribe to that tag on Instagram so you see other participants updates (https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/unself/ )
5. Post your unself content. Maria lists ideas on the unselfing website. Below are a list of other ones that might inspire you.
Here are 31 #Unself ideas to give you a little boost
The sky is really the limit. Some people might be posting flowers, others may opt for creative or business-related content that isn’t self-related.
Here are ideas of something you may wish to share:
1. Someone else’s creativity or art (with full credit)
2. A local placemaking activity (e.g. dog stick library, street library, community garden etc)
3. Something beautiful, breathtaking or unique in your local natural environment
4. An idea you stumbled on that could do with a shout out
5. Something mundane that gives comfort or pleasure
6. A photo of something in nature you would not usually photograph
7. A photo of something in an urban environment you would not usually take the time to notice
8. Something admirable about another person participating in the #unself challenge
9. A local group, activity or business you have not promoted before
10. A sunrise
11. A sunset
12. A quote from a favourite song, film or TV program that only fans would know
13. Something blue
14. Something that aches with history
15. A creative idea you like but would never get around to doing that you want someone else to have
16. The business work of someone else participating in the #unself challenge
17. An everyday item that we often overlook
18. A black and white moment
19. An unspoken rule, idea or guideline shared by your culture or community
20. A kindness you have seen or heard about
21. An overlooked word
22. A small happiness unique to where you live
23. An idea filled with love
24. The creative work of someone else participating in the #unself challenge
25. The weather
27. A piece of street art or graffiti
28. A square
29. A joy you can give to others
30. Something unexpected
31. Something that you learned as a result of this challenge
Note: these are only suggestions to keep you inspired. You do not have to follow this as a format. But they are there if you need them.
Your #unself posse includes
Musician Helen Perris (Instagram https://www.instagram.com/helenperrismusic/ )
Writer and musician Virginia Musik (Instagram https://www.instagram.com/virginiamuzik_writenoise/ )
Healthcare marketer Claire Hewitt (LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/clairehewitt-melbourne/ )
Film director and documentary maker Felicity Blake (Instagram https://www.instagram.com/the_dove/ )
Health writer Sophia Auld (LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/sophiaauld )
NOTE: if you indicated you liked the idea in the Freelance Jungle and don’t see yourself listed, you are not forgotten! I didn’t want to give the wrong handle for you or nominate you in case you had second thoughts. Simply add your handles in the comments below the article.
Similarly, if you didn’t see the thread, feel free to share your details in the comments below.